Great Country Houses of Norfolk: A Private View
- This tour has already taken place and is now here as an archive
- James McDonaugh
A 20% deposit of the total cost of your trip is needed to confirm your place on the tour.
This trip will show you the very best of Norfolk and its magnificent country houses. You will have private visits to Holkham Hall, Houghton Hall and Blickling Hall, as well as to a number of houses which are never open to the public. Some of the visits will be led by the owners themselves. You will stay in Norfolk’s finest hotel in the delightful small town of Burnham Market.
This study tour will include a visit to the Walpole Masterpieces at Houghton Hall from Catherine the Great's Hermitage in Russia.
James McDonaugh is an art history lecturer focusing on Italy, Turkey and Greece. He has led tours for academic bodies in the UK and America including the Art Fund, The Courtauld Institute of Art and Historic New England. Combining a deep knowledge of art, literature, history and theology, his aim is ‘to bring to life some of the most beautiful objects and places of interest in Europe’. James has an MA in Philosophy and Theology from Oxford, a diploma in Art History and an MA in Architectural History from the Courtauld Institute. He runs his own travel company, Art Tours Ltd, for private clients and academic groups. James led the hugely successful tours of “Istanbul” (2009) "Ancient Greece" (2011) and “Great Country Houses of Dorset” (2012) for THE COURSE.
The Hoste Arms view website »
The Green, Burnham Market, PE31 8HD
Telephone: 01328 738777
A boutique retreat, situated only two miles from North Norfolk’s award winning sandy beaches. Nestled in Nelson’s county, The Hoste is surrounded by beautiful countryside, miles of unspoilt coastline, acclaimed nature reserves, picturesque villages and historic market towns. This charming hotel with its renowned Michelin Bib Gourmand and two AA rosette restaurant and beauty spa, is located in one of Norfolk’s loveliest villages, Burnham Market.
The price includes:
- Accommodation in Norfolk’s finest hotel, The Hoste Arms, in Burnham Market close to the sea. All rooms are large doubles and have baths.
- Services of Tour Lecturer James McDonaugh
- Services of local on-site experts
- All ground transport by private coach, including return from London Victoria
- All admission charges
- The cost of seven private visits
- All dinners and lunches, these include wine, water & coffee
- Introduction drinks on night one
- All tips
- All taxes
* Those who wish to make their own way to Norfolk may do so, but we regret that we cannot offer money off for those making their own travel arrangements
The price does not include:
- Any incidental and personal expenditure (laundry, telephone, etc)
This tour is organised by Art Tours Ltd who are responsible for all the arrangements. Please refer to Art Tours Booking Terms and Conditions which can be found on their website www.arttoursltd.com. The itinerary is subject to change should local conditions or unexpected restrictions occur. It has also been arranged many months in advance and the private visits may be subject to amendment.
Book your place
Places are limited so please book early. For further information:
- Mary Bromley
- 020 7266 7815
- E Mail:
- The Course, 105 William Court, 6 Hall Road, London NW8 9PB